Tuesday, March 09, 2010

the Art of the Sample

I was going through Apple iTunes picking out songs for my wedding reception when I stumbled upon this Tori Amos track - "Precious Things". To be honest I am not familiar with any Tori Amos music. However, on this track there is this one infectious piano riff that I really love. I enclosed a clip from one of her live performances, listen to the beginning part - Tori Amos - Precious Things.

Shortly after hearing this, I realized that piano bit was used in Rabbit In the Moon "Out of Body Experience" (OBE). This dance track is especially sentimental to me since it was included on one of my favorite mix CD's Northern Exposure, Vol. 1., which is arguably the best dance music composition produced by Sasha & Digweed.

To come, I plan to share with you more music from its original composition that was later remixed. I think you'll really get a kick out of hearing the original of many tracks that you know and love.

If you can answer this question, I'll send you a little audio treat via e-mail. What track did the Notorious B.I.G sample the background from to produce "Juicy"?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Marc,

I know I am several months late on this but the answer to your question as to what song is sampled in Biggie's Juicy is the song "Juicy Fruit" by the funk artist James Mtume. The actual conception of the idea to sample this song supposedly originated from Pete Rock of "Pete Rock and CL Smooth" who was not given credit by Puffy. Hope all is well.. Keep spinning that vinyl!

An old friend from your past from a lake in New Hampshire.

B.D.S.